- Can I apply to the CMEPS program?
- I don’t have my B.A. certificate and final grades yet. Can I apply?
- Which bachelor degree qualifies me to study in the CMEPS program?
- Can I apply to the CMEPS program with a degree in Middle East Studies or in Islamic Studies?
- Do I need to prove my English language skills to apply?
- Do I need to prove language skills in Arabic or in German to apply?
- Is there a numerus clausus (NC)?
- Do I need to provide certified copies of my degree? Do I need to provide a translation of my degree?
- I am a student of Arab nationality: where should I apply?
- I am a student of German nationality: where should I apply?
- I am an international student: where should I apply?
- Which documents do I need for applying?
- When is the application deadline?
- How does the application process work?
- When will I know whether my application was successful?
- How high are the admission and tuition fees?
- Can I spend more than one exchange semester at the partner university?
- When will CMEPS students at both universities get to know each other?
- Who will supervise the Master’s Thesis?
- How does the CMEPS program provide an insight into practice?
If you have further questions, which are not listed on this page, please do not hesitate to contact our coordinators:
Question and Answer:
Can I apply to the CMEPS program?
- Hold a B.A. degree or equivalent in Political Science or a related social science (to study CMEPS at AUC or in Tübingen), or
- Hold a B.A. degree or equivalent in Middle East Studies, Islamic Studies, or a related discipline (to study CMEPS in Tübingen) and
- Provide evidence of your proficiency in English, e.g. through TOEFL (min. 90 scores), IELTS (min. 6.5), or through providing a similar certificate.
I don’t have my B.A. certificate and final grades yet. Can I apply?
Please apply with your newest transcript of records. In this case, your final B.A. certificate must be handed to the admissions office as soon as it has been issued.
Which bachelor degree qualifies me to study in the CMEPS program?
A bachelor degree or equivalent in Political Science or a related social science (at AUC and in Tübingen) or in Middle East Studies, Islamic Studies or a related discipline (in Tübingen) qualifies you the study in the CMPS program.
At the University of Tübingen, admissions are restricted to applicants with a BA degree of 2.5 or above (in the German grading system, equivalent to a grade between B- and C+ of the American grading system). At the AUC, your final grade needs to be 3.2 GPA or higher.
Can I apply to the CMEPS program with a degree in Middle East Studies or in Islamic Studies?
Students with a BA degree in Middle East Studies or Islamic Studies can apply for the CMEPS program in Tübingen, as a ‘two tracks’ system is available. Already having a sound knowledge in Arabic they will take courses in Political Science methods during their first year, while their peers with a first degree in Political Science will take Arabic lessons. At the AUC, no two track system is available and you require a first degree in Political Science or a similar field to apply.
Do I need to prove my English language skills to apply?
English is the language of instruction of the CMEPS program. Language skills in English need to be certified through a certificate.
For admission following proofs are accepted:
- a TOEFL test, with a total score of at least 90 and a writing score of at least 22 in the internet-based test (iBT)
- an Academic IELTS, with a score of at least 6.5 in total and at least 7 in the writing section
- the certificate has to be uploaded in the online application! Although you can submit the final certificate later than May 15th, you HAVE TO upload at least a preliminary certificate in the online form in order to fulfill the formal conditions.
- students whose native language is English;
- have completed at least one year of full time academic study at an accredited university where English was the sole language of instruction (evidence of the language of instruction of the courses has to be provided);
- students who successfully completed a first degree exclusively with English as language of instruction
The following students are eligible to apply at the University of Tübingen, but are in case of their acceptance into the program required to provide one of the above mentioned certificates by January of the term of their enrollment.
- students who received 30 ECTS in English-language courses while studying at a university in a EU/EEA country or in Switzerland. The students are required to provide evidence of the language of instruction of each of the courses;
- students who received 30 ECTS or credit points demonstrating an equivalent study performance in English-language courses while studying at a university in Great Britain, Ireland, Malta, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica or in the Anglophone part of Canada. The students are required to provide evidence of the language of instruction;
- students who acquired their university entrance qualification predominantly with English as the language of instruction.
Do I need to prove language skills in Arabic or in German to apply?
During their studies CMEPS students will take language classes in Arabic (CMEPS students studying in Tübingen) or in German (CMEPS students studying at AUC). Previous knowledge of Arabic or German is NOT required.
Exception: Students with a first degree in Islamic Studies or equivalent, who apply at Tübingen, need to prove advanced Arabic skills.
Is there a numerus clausus (NC)?
At the University of Tübingen, admission is restricted to applicants holding a BA degree of 2.5 or better in the German grading system (this is equivalent to a grade between B- and C+ in the American grading system).
At the AUC a bachelor’s degree needs to show a final mark of 3.2 GPA or better.
Do I need to provide certified copies of my degree? Do I need to provide a translation of my degree?
At Tübingen: You will need to provide a certified copy of your BA degree after gaining admission (please bring the original or a certified copy when enrolling at university). Please provide an official translation of your degree if it is not in German, English or French language.
At AUC you do need to provide a certified copy of your degree/transcript when applying to the program. If it is not issued in English or in Arabic please provide a translation.
I am a student of Arab nationality: where should I apply?
At the American University in Cairo, places of study are reserved for applicants of Arab nationality. Please visit: www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/pages/applynow.aspx
I am a student of German nationality: where should I apply?
Students of German and all other nationalities can apply at the University of Tübingen. Please visit: https://movein-uni-tuebingen.moveonnet.eu/movein/portal/studyportal.php
I am an international student: where should I apply?
Places of study are reserved for applicants of Arab nationality at the American University in Cairo. Please visit: www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/pages/applynow.aspx
As an applicant of another nationality you are eligible to apply to the University of Tübingen. Please visit: https://movein-uni-tuebingen.moveonnet.eu/movein/portal/studyportal.php
Which documents do I need for applying?
At the University of Tübingen you need to upload the following documents with your application:
- High School Diploma
- B.A. certificate or, if not yet available, newest transcripts of records
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation (up to 2 pages)
- Proof of English language requirements.
- Evidence of other achievements (internships, work experience, etc.)
- Contact details of an academic referee.
- Letters of Recommendation
Please provide all documents (CV, motivation letter, etc) in English language – exception: certificates which you received from a university, an internship employer, or another institution in German or French language need not to be translated. German language skills are not required for international students applying to CMEPS (information you provide during the online application about your German language skills will not affect your chances of being selected for a place of study).
At the AUC, you need to submit the following documents with your application:
- Official transcript from your graduating university
- Curriculum Vitae
- At least 2 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- If not an AUC Graduate, then proof of English language skills (either TOEFL or IELTS)
- 2 passport sized photographs
- Copy of your passport
When is the application deadline?
Applying is possible at the AUC until 1st April and at the University of Tübingen until 15th May.
(The Fall Term will begin in early September at the AUC and in early October at the University of Tübingen)
Please find the application forms online under www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/pages/applynow.aspx (AUC) and https://movein-uni-tuebingen.moveonnet.eu/movein/portal/studyportal.php (UT). Please read the provided information carefully and follow the required steps as outlined in the online application system.
Please note that you will need to have posted (in paper) the required signed application documents by the application deadline. Please refer to our Apply-Section for information on which documents are required in printed form for the respective institution.
Only at AUC: Please note that you will need to pay an application fee of 350 L.E.
Starting with the application deadline we inspect all received applications and try to inform the successful candidates as soon as possible. We thank you for your understanding that this process may take up to 6-8 weeks, depending on the number of applications received.
At the University of Tübingen, the letters of admission / rejection will also be made available to you on the MoveIn online application for download (please log in with the username and password you can create when starting the application process).
For Students from EU Countries there are no tuition or admission fees at the University of Tübingen, but a small administrative fee needs to be paid at the beginning of each term. For students from non-EU countries the government of the federal state of “Baden-Württemberg”, where the University of Tübingen is located introduced a tuition fee of 1,500 €. This regulation does not apply for exchange students visiting the University of Tübingen within the context of the CMEPS exchange term.
At AUC, tuition fees may get covered by stipends. Please see below on who is eligible to apply for a stipend and on the application process.
At AUC only, you will have to pay an application fee of 350 L.E.
Can I spend more than one exchange semester at the partner university?
Due to a memorandum of understanding between the AUC and the University of Tübingen, only one exchange semester is incorporated into the program. Students may, in consultation with the responsible faculty members and after having finished classes, spend more time in the host country for an internship or research purposes. Costs for possible further stays need to be covered by the students themselves.
When will CMEPS students at both universities get to know each other?
Right from the beginning of the program, all CMEPS students will get in touch with each other via social networking sites. Furthermore, all students will take a joint International Development and Cooperation Seminar, taking place in Egypt, and a colloquium for presenting their master thesis proposals, taking place in Germany.
Who will supervise the Master’s Thesis?
The master’s thesis is jointly supervised by international faculty at both universities.
How does the CMEPS program provide an insight into practice?
In addition to highly relevant and topical study contents throughout the program, students will boost their employability by an internship in their chosen field of interest. To promote the link between theory and practice, study trips to international organizations and development agencies as well as to important political and cultural institutions of the respective host country are included in the program.